- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1.5 t dry yeast
- 2½ c tepid water
- 5.5-6 c flour
- 1 T salt
- 1 T olive oil
- Mix water, yeast and 1/2 the flour. Stir until smooth.
- Cover and let rest at least 30 minutes (1 hour is better)
- Sprinkle salt over the sponge then stir in olive oil.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time until just barely stiff enough to handle.
- Transfer to stand mixer and continue adding flour until ball is formed and dough is picked up from bottom and sides of bowl - you may not need all of that last 1/2 cup.
- Let knead on dough hook for 10 minutes after dough form a tacky but not sticky ball.
- Turn dough into lightly oiled bowl, turn over and cover.
- Let rise 2-3 hours.
- Deflate dough.
- This is the point at which I refrigerate any dough I am not going to use immediately. The dough keeps quite well in the refrigerator for up to a week. When we want a portion of bread for dinner go to the next step
- Separate a 5oz portion, and roll thin on a lightly floured board.
- Oil lightly if you wish, but that is not a necessary step. I'll also sprinkle with sea salt sometimes, if I am serving it with a dip.
- Place shaped bread onto a med-high griddle.
- Let cook 40-60 s until multiple bubbles form on topside and bottom is browning.
- Turn to brown other side.
- Note: you may need to puncture any large bubbles that form to ensure even heating when turned. -- or -- Place the dough on a stone or baking sheet and place under the broiler until both sides are beginning to show brown spots.
- For pizza, I roll it thinner, pre-grill the bread then top and place under the broiler to melt the cheese.
NotesI gave up on making loaves of bread after I became an empty-nester. With just two of us at home we don't go through a loaf fast enough and with no preservatives it just didn't keep. For a while there we just used store bought bread until I developed (from an amalgam of similar recipes) a great flat bread recipe that is very versatile (including use as pizza crust).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More