- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 64
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces (at Christmas, I like to use the fancy European style butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (I use homemade Tahitian vanilla)
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and scraped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Fleur de se (sea salt)l, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup (can substitute light corn syrup)
- 1/4 cup water
- Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly butter parchment.
- Bring cream, butter, vanilla, vanilla beans, pods, and fleur de sel to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Boil sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring but gently swirling pan, until mixture is a light golden caramel.
- Remove pods and carefully stir cream mixture into the caramel (mixture will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel registers 248 on thermometer.
- Pour into baking pan and cool 30 minutes. Sprinkle another pinch or two of fleur de sel over the top of the caramel for a nice salty crunch and let sit until completely cooled.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces (I buttered a pizza cutter), and then wrap each piece in a 4-inch square of wax paper, twisting 2 ends to close.
NotesRich, buttery and salty caramels studded with vanilla bean flecks.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
It's all about that protein
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More