- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 pounds chicken thighs (or 1/2 and 1/2 thighs and breasts)
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 carrots, halved
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 3 bay leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped (1/4 inch) onion
- 3/4 cup chopped (1/4 inch) poblano pepper
- 8 ounces diced (1/2 inch) andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon each ground coriander, cumin and chili powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle pepper (in adobo)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups diced ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- For garnishes (optional):
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- ripe mango, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Monterey pepper Jack cheese
- Place chicken along with next 8 ingredients in a large, heavy pot; add water just to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to a bowl. Strain the broth, return it to the pot and reserve. Shred the chicken and reserve.
- Add the beans to the reserved broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes, skimming any foam. Drain beans, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add onions, poblano pepper and sausage; cook for 8 minutes. Add coriander, cumin and chili powder; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, chipotle, sugar and the reserved bean liquid. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Add diced tomato, cilantro, reserved beans and chicken. Cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Prepare garnishes: Combine sour cream and chives in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the mango, tomato and cilantro, salt and pepper. Serve the chili topped with chive-sour cream, mango salsa and cheese, if desired.
NotesAdapted from a recipe in Parade Magazine. Influenced by the foods of Caribbean and Miami.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More