- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis dense cake uses ground almonds instead of flour. Toasting the almonds before grinding them helps bring out the flavor. Serves 8 to 10.
- 6 ounces SCHARFFEN BERGER 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
- ¼ cup espresso or double strength coffee
- 10 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almonds, toasted and finely ground
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment.
- In the top of a double boiler or in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and coffee.
- With an electric mixer and a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until ivory colored. Add the egg yolks, two at a time. Continue to beat until the mixture is light and airy. Fold in the cooled melted chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. With the beater running, add two tablespoons sugar and beat until glossy. Fold the ground almonds into the whites. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and immediately turn the heat down to 350 degrees F. Bake 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 325 degrees F. Bake an additional 45 minutes. Turn the oven down to 300 degrees and bake 15 to 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave in the oven, with the door ajar, for another 30 minutes.
- Cool on a rack. Remove the sides of the pan. Serve sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Whipped cream is optional.