FLUFFY DAIRY-FREE PANCAKES
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup of self-raising (self-rising) flour, preferably wholemeal
- 2 egg whites (to replace 1 whole egg)
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk (soy, almond, rice)
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda (baking soda)
- Make the Buttermilk - The first step is to make buttermilk (soured milk). To do this, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (or lemon juice) to your milk, and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the Batter - Place the flour and the extra bi-carbonate soda in a bowl. Add the egg and the buttermilk and whisk together. The batter will be quite runny.
- Cook the Pancakes - I cook my pancakes in a 20cm/8" non-stick fry pan. I find this size pan gives me a lovely round shaped pancake. Make sure the pan is hot (medium heat) before adding the batter.
- Pour some batter in the pan. I use a soup ladle which is about half a cup. Cook until there are lots of bubbles on top of the pancake.
- It is now ready to turn over. Lift the pancake up with a spatula and flip it over.
- Tip - Sometimes I have a second bigger fry pan on the next burner and just turn the small fry pan upside down over the bigger fry pan. That way I can start the second pancake while the first one is finishing.
- Keep going until you have made all the pancakes. You will get about 3-4 pancakes from this batter. Now top with your favourite pancake topping.
NotesDuring the week it's rush, rush, rush in the mornings, but on weekends it's so nice to sit and relax with a hot breakfast and cup of tea. One of our family favourite's would have to be pancakes. We make the light fluffy American style pancakes rather than the thin European style. After becoming dairy-free I would almost cry when I came downstairs to see my family eating pancakes, and I couldn't have any. Well cry no more. I have come up with a dairy-free version of pancakes that my whole family enjoys.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Baked Spaghetti Casserole
Award - Winning Tortilla SoupSee More