- Cooking Time: 65
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 medium raw eggplant
- 1 bulb garlic clove
- 1 sprays olive oil cooking spray
- 2 large pitas, split in half crosswise
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat a sheet pan with olive oil cooking spray and spread onions on it; set aside.
- Prick eggplant all over with a fork.
- Coat garlic bulb with cooking spray; wrap in foil.
- Roast eggplant (unwrapped) and garlic (wrapped in foil) until very soft; about 45 minutes.
- Add onion to oven for last 20 minutes of roasting.
- Remove vegetables from oven and reduce temperature to 400°F.
- Peel and mash eggplant; set aside.
- Squeeze garlic from its skin; set aside.
- Set pita rounds on a baking sheet; spread each with some garlic.
- Top with tomato sauce, eggplant, fontina and onions.
- Bake until crisp on edges, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot. Yields half a pita per serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More