- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis came from Food Guy on Recipes @ Taste of Home BB. It is sooo good. I have never been able to make really good oven fried chicken but this comes out beautifully.
- 1 - 3 lb cut up frying chicken (8 pieces)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine
- 1 heaping cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wash chicken, and pat dry with paper towel. (My wife soaks the washed chicken in salt water for 15 20 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Place vegetable oil and margarine in shallow baking pan, and set in oven to heat and melt.
- Combine flour and seasonings. Roll chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Remove hot pan from oven and arrange chicken pieces on it, skin side down, do not crowd.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn chicken so that skin side is up and continue baking-20-30 minutes until nicely browned and juices run clear.
- Remove to a platter and keep warm (at least 10 minutes).
- Country Gravy....
- Scrape baking pan and place 3 Tablespoons of the accumulated cooking fat and browned bits into a sauce pan. Stir in 3 Tablespoons flour and cook 1-2 minutes until well combined. Stir in 2 cups milk and continue cooking and whisking until gravy boils and thickens. Cook about one minute. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.