- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of honey
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 3-4 whole cloves
- 2 cups of finely chopped walnuts
- The cooled cookies will be dipped in the hot syrup, so don't start the syrup until the cookies have cooled.
- Put the water, honey, sugar, cinnamon stick, and cloves in a wide pot (like a deep frying pan) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat down to low. (As soon as it starts to boil, a foam rises to the top - scoop this off and throw it out.) Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves.
- Put in cookies (as many as will fit on the bottom) into the hot syrup and use a spatula to hold them down for about 45 seconds to a minute, depending on how syrupy you want them to be. Once the cookies have been soaked, remove them with a slotted spoon, letting some of the syrup drip, place on a large serving plate in layers, sprinkling each layer liberally with the finely chopped walnuts before adding another layer on top.
- Melomakarona are not refrigerated. Cover them well with plastic wrap or store in tins so they don't dry out, and they'll last for several days - if they aren't eaten by then