- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups cooked Barilla Plus elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated buttery spread (i.e., Organic Earth Balance whipped buttery spread.)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups organic 1 percent milk
- 2 cups shredded Sharp cheddar cheese (optional: low fat)
- ½ cup grated Fontina cheese
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon. dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- For an antioxidant boost add the following:
- 1½ cups cauliflower or broccoli florets, steamed (cauliflower works best with this dish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the multigrain pasta in boiling water for 7-8 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a deep skillet, melt the buttery spread over medium heat. Add the flour to make a roux and stir well. Pour the milk and cook until the mixture is thick and smooth. Season with salt, dry mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar, Fontina and Gruyere cheeses and continue to cook until until fully melted. Add the cooked pasta and stir well. Transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish.
- Carefully take the presteamed cauliflower florets and sink them into and throughout the casserole. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and then bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
NotesRobin's favorite macaroni and cheese recipe, shared during GMA Mac 'n' Cheese Challenge (2008)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More