- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryRobin's favorite macaroni and cheese recipe, shared during GMA Mac 'n' Cheese Challenge (2008)
- 4 cups cooked Barilla Plus elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons nonhydrogenated buttery spread (i.e., Organic Earth Balance whipped buttery spread.)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups organic 1 percent milk
- 2 cups shredded Sharp cheddar cheese (optional: low fat)
- ½ cup grated Fontina cheese
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon. dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- For an antioxidant boost add the following:
- 1½ cups cauliflower or broccoli florets, steamed (cauliflower works best with this dish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook the multigrain pasta in boiling water for 7-8 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- In a deep skillet, melt the buttery spread over medium heat. Add the flour to make a roux and stir well. Pour the milk and cook until the mixture is thick and smooth. Season with salt, dry mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar, Fontina and Gruyere cheeses and continue to cook until until fully melted. Add the cooked pasta and stir well. Transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish.
- Carefully take the presteamed cauliflower florets and sink them into and throughout the casserole. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and then bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.