- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 60 minutes
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 lb. ground round steak
- 1 (1lb. 13 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 large onion
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomato paste plus 1 can water
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup fresh Romano cheese
- 1 (1lb. box) lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch pan.
- Chop garlic very fine and brown in a large skillet, along with meat that has been crumbled into tiny pieces. Drain excess grease.
- Combine puree and onion in blender until smooth. Add to meat, along with other ingredients except noodles and cheeses.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cover bottom of pan with 1/3 of the meat mixture. Grate Romano evenly over this. Lay 5 noodles lengthwise and 1 crosswise at top to fill pan.
- Spread 1/2 of the ricotta evenly over noodles. Grate 4 oz. of mozzarella over top.
- Repeat, ending with meat and sauce and Romano
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake 1 hour. Remove foil and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
NotesThis recipe was in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette back in the late 70's when Franco was still playing football. His wife Dana helped him with the recipe.
This is a lasagna where the noodles are not precooked.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More