- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 60 minutes
BackstoryThis recipe was in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette back in the late 70's when Franco was still playing football. His wife Dana helped him with the recipe.
This is a lasagna where the noodles are not precooked.
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 lb. ground round steak
- 1 (1lb. 13 oz) can tomato puree
- 1 large onion
- 1 (16 oz.) can tomato paste plus 1 can water
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup fresh Romano cheese
- 1 (1lb. box) lasagna noodles
- 1 lb. ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch pan.
- Chop garlic very fine and brown in a large skillet, along with meat that has been crumbled into tiny pieces. Drain excess grease.
- Combine puree and onion in blender until smooth. Add to meat, along with other ingredients except noodles and cheeses.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cover bottom of pan with 1/3 of the meat mixture. Grate Romano evenly over this. Lay 5 noodles lengthwise and 1 crosswise at top to fill pan.
- Spread 1/2 of the ricotta evenly over noodles. Grate 4 oz. of mozzarella over top.
- Repeat, ending with meat and sauce and Romano
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake 1 hour. Remove foil and let rest 5 minutes before serving.