- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 180
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup peeled, cubed potatoes
- 2 to 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 package dry yeast
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Vegetable oil spray
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Measure off 3/4 cup of the boiling water. If there isn't enough potato water, add warm tap water to make 3/4 cup.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl. Add 3/4 cup of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt. Stir in the potato water with a wooden spoon, and continue stirring until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
- Cover with a dish towel and set in a warm place until the dough doubles in volume, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Whisk the egg until frothy. Stir the egg, butter, and raisins into the batter. Start adding flour one-half cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until you have a soft dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough in half with the sides of your hand, and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 2 cylinders, each about 9-inches long.
- Grease a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with the vegetable oil spray, and place the dough cylinders side by side in the pan. Cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rise again until double in size, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the towel and bake the bread until light brown (it should sound hollow when tapped), about 20 minutes.
NotesThis wonderful potato bread gets just the right touch of sweetness from the raisins - its "freckles." It makes great toast and spectacular bread pudding.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Carrot cupcakes or muffensSee More