- Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20-30 minutes
- Double batch of pie pastry or puff pastry
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 1T vegetable oil
- 4 slices of smoky bacon, cut crossways into little strips
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, goarsely grated
- 3T heavy cream
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes into thin slices. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes until beginning to color. Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened but not colored. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the pastry into two portions. Roll out one half to form a 10" square or circle. Lay the pastry on a lightly greased baking tray and brush the edges lightly with beaten egg. Spread the sliced potatoes over the pastry leaving a 1" border, then top with the bacon, onions, and black pepper. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Drizzle over the cream.
- Roll out the second piece of pastry to form a square or circle that is slightly larger than the bottom piece. Place over the filling and press the edges together to join. Trim away excess and cut a cross in the middle of the pie. Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake in the top of the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 F and cook for another 25-30 minutes, or until golden and risen.
- Serve cut into wedges.
NotesIntroduced at Pie-Fest in 2013. This is a very easy pie that can be easily modified to fit your individual tastes. I modified this slightly from the original recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Raw Carrot Beet Ginger Salad
Honeydew Lime Soup
Deviled PotatoesSee More