- Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20-30 minutes
- Double batch of pie pastry or puff pastry
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 2 medium yukon gold potatoes
- 1T vegetable oil
- 4 slices of smoky bacon, cut crossways into little strips
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, goarsely grated
- 3T heavy cream
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes into thin slices. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes until beginning to color. Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened but not colored. Set aside to cool.
- Divide the pastry into two portions. Roll out one half to form a 10" square or circle. Lay the pastry on a lightly greased baking tray and brush the edges lightly with beaten egg. Spread the sliced potatoes over the pastry leaving a 1" border, then top with the bacon, onions, and black pepper. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Drizzle over the cream.
- Roll out the second piece of pastry to form a square or circle that is slightly larger than the bottom piece. Place over the filling and press the edges together to join. Trim away excess and cut a cross in the middle of the pie. Brush lightly with beaten egg and bake in the top of the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 F and cook for another 25-30 minutes, or until golden and risen.
- Serve cut into wedges.
NotesIntroduced at Pie-Fest in 2013. This is a very easy pie that can be easily modified to fit your individual tastes. I modified this slightly from the original recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More