- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time: 20
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 2 whole lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons almond liqueur
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 32 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- To serve:
- 6 to 8 cups fresh fruit, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add a pinch of salt and the lemon zest. While the mixer is running, gradually pour in the lemon juice and almond liqueur.
- Incorporate the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat until completely blended, then add the mascarpone and beat until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over saucepan partially filled with barely simmering water, but do not let the water touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Cook until the mixture reaches 170 degrees F on a candy thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The temperature rises quickly in the final minutes, so at that point stir almost constantly to prevent lumps. When the sauce reaches 170 degrees F, remove the saucepan, with the bowl still inside, from the heat.
- Allow the sauce to stand for 15 to 30 minutes. The temperature will continue to rise to 180 degrees F and then cool gradually. If desired, strain the sauce through a fine sieve.
- Toss the fruit with the lemon juice and sugar. Arrange the fruit in individual serving bowls. Spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce into each bowl.
- Serve immediately.