- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 green pepper, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 C. apple cider vinegar
- 2 C. sugar
- ¼ c. water
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. ground mustard (or more, according to taste)
- Mix cabbage and salt and set in colander for one hour. Drain and squeeze out liquid (I roll in paper towels). Add the carrot, green pepper and onion, and stir together in a large non-reactive bowl.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, water and spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for one minute. Let stand till lukewarm and pour over cabbage mixture. Stir well.
- Place in freezer containers and freeze until ready to eat. Will keep several months.
NotesThis is a typical recipe from my mom (Marlene Proietti) - a great way to use cabbage when it's fresh and enjoy it all winter long. This is also a great picnic recipe as there's no dairy or mayonnaise.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More