- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 20
- 4 Large Onions
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 4 Cups Turkey Stock (Chicken or Veggie is ok)
- 1/4 Cup Dark Beer (ex. Guiness)
- Bay Leaf
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- Crack Pepper
- Sea or Kosher Salt
- 1 Loaf Bread of Choice (hard crust preferred)
- 1-2 cups of good melting cheese (Swiss, Parmesean, ect)
- Slice your Onions thin, and mix in minced garlic.
- Heat a good size all use Pan/Pot (A dutch oven would be great for this)
- Add Oil & Butter over Med-low heat
- When Butter is melted throw in onions and garlic.
- Coat and heat until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle in Flour, mix well then add the Bay Leaf, Thyme, salt, pepper, and beer.
- Stir slowly about 2 minutes.
- Remove Bay Leaf.
- Pour in stock and crank up to a rolling boil.
- Now reduce heat to low, cover and walk about for 20 minutes.
- Now preheat the oven to 350
- Cube your thick bread, and coat with olive oil.
- Toast your bread in the oven about 10 minutes.
- Move to a oven safe container, pour ready soup over toasted bread, then top with cheese.
- Put into the 350 oven for 5-10 minutes to melt cheese.
- Serve hot
NotesWell, for about 14 years now I don't eat Beef or Pork any longer. The main ingredient other then onions in french onion soup is Beef broth. I even see the soup with bacon! It also has way too much salt most the time. So since its been that many years since I've had it, and I have a craving for it I put together my own recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More