- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWe have been making this for years and it stands up to any you can get at a restaurant.
- 6 onions, sliced, then chopped in fourths
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup Burgundy or heavy red wine
- 6 cups hot water
- 14 cubes beef bouillon cubes
- dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)
- French bread - toasted
- Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- Sauté onions in butter until golden brown. Add flour and stir until smooth. Transfer to large pot, add rest of ingredients and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. Put in individual soup bowls and put under broiler with toasted French bread topped with cheese until cheese is melted.
- Makes 6 servings.