- Cooking Time: 32 to 35
- Preparation Time:
- 1 c water
- 3 c bread flour
- 3/4 t salt
- 1 t active dry yeast
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 1 T water
- Add the first 4 ingredients to the machine according to the manufacturer’s directions. Select the dough cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough. Punch down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Divide the dough in half. On a slightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 10x8 inch rectangle. Start from a long side, roll up into a spiral; seal edge. Pinch and pull ends to taper.
- Place loaves, seam sides down, on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl combine egg white and 1 T water; brush some of the mixture over tops of loaves. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 35-45 minutes or until nearly double. Using a sharp knife, make three or four diagonal cuts about quarter-inch deep across the top of each loaf.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 20 minutes. Brush with the remaining egg mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes more or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.