- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. savory
- 1/3 cup lard
- 2/3 cup ice water
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tblsp. water
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated.
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. sage
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- *Or use a mixture of pork and veal
- For Pastry: Stir flour,salt, baking powder, turmeric,and savory together in a bowl. Cut in lard until it is the size of peas.
- Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until you can form the dough lightly into a ball that is soft and pliable.
- Roll out pastry for 9 inch plate, and crust for top.
- For Filling: Combine meat, onion, potato, garlic powder, salt sage,celery salt, nutmeg,and water in a heavy saucepan and cook until no pink color remains, stir to break meat into small pieces. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring ocasionally to prevent sticking. Chill filling, discard surface fat.
- Spoon filling into prepared shells. Top with pastry and pinch edges together to seal.
- Combine egg and water and brush over top pastry.
- Make slits in top crust and bake at 400 degreesF for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden
NotesThis is tradionalChristmas dish in Quebec. When I was a child I remember having this treat after Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve.My mother always made a lot so we would have them on New Years Day also.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Koken met OmaSee More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More