- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For Caramel”
- 4 tbs granulated sugar
- For the custard”
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 ovenproof dish
- 2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 350
- In a saucepan, heat the 4 TBS sugar over a medium flame, turning the pan occasionally until it caramelizes. Quickly pour the syrup into the ovenproof dish, coating the bottom. Set aside
- Pour the milk into a saucepan. Slice the vanilla bean lengthwise, and scrape out the grains. Add both the bean and grains (or vanilla extract) to the milk. Scald the milk, remove from heat, cover and let steep
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil for bain-marie
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yolks, and sugar until you have a light and frothy mixture.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and pour slowly through a sieve into the egg mixture, whisking continuously
- Pour the mixture into the caramelized mold. Place the mold into a larger baking dish and add the boiling water into it until it reaches the halfway point of the custard mold. Place in the oven.
- Bake for approximately 60 min. The water of the bain-marie should never boil other wise your custard might become grainy. As oven temperatures tend to vary, test the custard with a knife before removing it from oven. When done it should come out clean. Let cool before chilling. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. To serve, run knife around the sides of the custard and flip it onto a serving disk
NotesI have to admit that I haven't made this one yet but my friend gave it to me after I had it at her house. It is YUMMY!
French Crème Caramel
This can be baked in individual ramekins but you need to test out the baking time. They are done when an inserted knife comes out clean.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More