- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 cups
- Preparation Time:
- ¾ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 12 Tablespoons cold water(one at a time)
- 2 cups white all vegetable shortening ( Crisco, white, not butter flavored)
- 2 Tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 teaspoons clear flavoring
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons salt ( optional)- will cut down on the sweetness and enhance flavor
- 3 pounds (12 cups) powdered confectioner’s sugar
- Beat milk powder and water in mixer and make sure no dry milk remains on beaters.
- Add vegetable shortening, meringue powder, clear flavoring and salt.
- Beat on low speed just until combined and no lumps remain in shortening.
- Add powdered confectioner’s sugar.
- Beat on medium speed just until combined. Do not over beat as this will create air bubbles in the icing. (Beat on high with hand mixer)
- This recipe will yield about 6 cups of stiff icing.
- For medium icing, add 1 teaspoon water for each cup needed.
- For thin icing, add 2 teaspoons of water for each cup needed.
NotesThis is a buttercream recipe I got from my Wilton Instructor. It's not too sweet and you can add any type of flavor to make it your own. I love it! I've tried it with peppermint, coconut, cherry, vanilla and almond also. They were all delicious!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More