- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 cups
- Preparation Time:
- ¾ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 12 Tablespoons cold water(one at a time)
- 2 cups white all vegetable shortening ( Crisco, white, not butter flavored)
- 2 Tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 teaspoons clear flavoring
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons salt ( optional)- will cut down on the sweetness and enhance flavor
- 3 pounds (12 cups) powdered confectioner’s sugar
- Beat milk powder and water in mixer and make sure no dry milk remains on beaters.
- Add vegetable shortening, meringue powder, clear flavoring and salt.
- Beat on low speed just until combined and no lumps remain in shortening.
- Add powdered confectioner’s sugar.
- Beat on medium speed just until combined. Do not over beat as this will create air bubbles in the icing. (Beat on high with hand mixer)
- This recipe will yield about 6 cups of stiff icing.
- For medium icing, add 1 teaspoon water for each cup needed.
- For thin icing, add 2 teaspoons of water for each cup needed.
NotesThis is a buttercream recipe I got from my Wilton Instructor. It's not too sweet and you can add any type of flavor to make it your own. I love it! I've tried it with peppermint, coconut, cherry, vanilla and almond also. They were all delicious!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Italy or Bust
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More