FRENCH DECORATOR'S BUTTERCREAM
French Decorator's Buttercream
- Servings: 6 cups
- ¾ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 12 Tablespoons cold water(one at a time)
- 2 cups white all vegetable shortening ( Crisco, white, not butter flavored)
- 2 Tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 teaspoons clear flavoring
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons salt ( optional)- will cut down on the sweetness and enhance flavor
- 3 pounds (12 cups) powdered confectioner’s sugar
Beat milk powder and water in mixer and make sure no dry milk remains on beaters.
Add vegetable shortening, meringue powder, clear flavoring and salt.
Beat on low speed just until combined and no lumps remain in shortening.
Add powdered confectioner’s sugar.
Beat on medium speed just until combined. Do not over beat as this will create air bubbles in the icing. (Beat on high with hand mixer)
This recipe will yield about 6 cups of stiff icing.
For medium icing, add 1 teaspoon water for each cup needed.
For thin icing, add 2 teaspoons of water for each cup needed.