- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp dry sherry
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- splash of cream
- 2 chicken breast halves
- garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 slices French bread (or other bakery bread)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- For Sauce:
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add sliced onions, thyme and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to turn golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add sherry and cook until it's just about evaporated and onions are brown, about 8 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and stir in broths.
- Cook until liquid is reduced by about half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low and stir in cream, just heating through.
- For Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Depending on the size of your chicken breasts and whether you prefer a stuffing or roll-up technique, prepare/pound chicken accordingly.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Stuff chicken with gruyere.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat.
- Add EVOO and heat.
- Pan fry chicken on both sides until browned.
- Remove pan to oven to finish cooking.
- Meanwhile, spray or drizzle bread with a little olive oil.
- Put bread in the oven at the same time as the chicken (or, if you are using thicker chicken or didn't pan fry it, the last 8-10 minutes of cooking).
- When bread is out of the oven, rub with a clove of garlic.
- Plate dish by placing chicken on top of toasted bread and spoon onion sauce over the top.
NotesI love gruyere and I love French onion soup. But, I didn't really want to make soup since my kitchen is about 112 degrees on a good day. I decided to be inventive and came up with a French onion chicken. Basically, this is a chicken breast stuffed with gruyere, topped with a French onion soup sauce, and served atop garlic crostini. It was seriously delicious!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Growers' Giveback Potluck
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More