- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 onions, sliced, then chopped in fourths
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup Burgundy or heavy red wine
- 6 cups hot water
- 14 cubes beef bouillon cubes
- dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)
- French bread - toasted
- Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- Sauté onions in butter until golden brown. Add flour and stir until smooth. Transfer to large pot, add rest of ingredients and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. Put in individual soup bowls and put under broiler with toasted French bread topped with cheese until cheese is melted.
- Makes 6 servings.
NotesWe have been making this for years and it stands up to any you can get at a restaurant.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
My Family Cookbook
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More