- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 7 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 thyme springs, leaves stripped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups chicken stock
- French bread croutons/slices (Just crisp in an oven)
- Gruyere cheese - 2 cups shredded or 6 slices
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, bay leaf, and thyme leaves and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to turn golden brown--about 25-30 minutes.
- Add the sherry and cook until it is almost evaporated and onions turn brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the beef and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into the oven-proof bowls. Top with a French bread crouton and a handful (or slice) of the gruyere. Bake at 450* until cheese is bubbly and starts to turn brown, about 8-10 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More