FRENCH ONION SOUP IS A PERFECT WAY TO INTRODUCE YOUR CHILD TO FRENCH CULTURE.
- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 large red onions
- 3 large sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of beef stock (homemade stock is best)
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
- Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick slices French baguette
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Gruyère cheese
- Mince the onions.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick fry pan on medium high heat.
- Add the onions and toss to coat them with oil.
- After 10 minutes add the sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add the garlic and thyme.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 -40 minutes or until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- After the onions have caramelized, pour in the beef stock and the red wine. Continue cooking on very low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, if needed (depending on saltiness of broth).
- Spoon into four ovenproof bowls.
- Top with toasted baguette and cheese.
- Use lots of cheese so it covers and drips over the sides.
- Place in the broiler until brown and bubbly.
NotesAlthough the French onion soup recipe has been modernized, this dish (Soupe à l'oignon) dates back to the mid-1700’s. It originated in Lyons, France . Cheap and abundant, onions were a popular ingredient among the workers.
Visit our website for more information. http://www.fun-french-and-spanish.com/french-onion-soup-recipe.html
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Babette's Test Kitchen
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More