FRENCH ONION SOUP IS A PERFECT WAY TO INTRODUCE YOUR CHILD TO FRENCH CULTURE.
- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 large red onions
- 3 large sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups of beef stock (homemade stock is best)
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
- Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick slices French baguette
- 1 1/2 cups of grated Gruyère cheese
- Mince the onions.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick fry pan on medium high heat.
- Add the onions and toss to coat them with oil.
- After 10 minutes add the sugar.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add the garlic and thyme.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 -40 minutes or until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- After the onions have caramelized, pour in the beef stock and the red wine. Continue cooking on very low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, if needed (depending on saltiness of broth).
- Spoon into four ovenproof bowls.
- Top with toasted baguette and cheese.
- Use lots of cheese so it covers and drips over the sides.
- Place in the broiler until brown and bubbly.
NotesAlthough the French onion soup recipe has been modernized, this dish (Soupe à l'oignon) dates back to the mid-1700’s. It originated in Lyons, France . Cheap and abundant, onions were a popular ingredient among the workers.
Visit our website for more information. http://www.fun-french-and-spanish.com/french-onion-soup-recipe.html