FRESH CHERRY COFFEE CAKE
Fresh Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1 pound fresh cherries, washed and pitted
- 1 cup blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray, dust with flour.
Reserve 1/4 cup chopped almonds with 1 teaspoon sugar and transfer remaining almonds to the bowl of a food processor.
Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the nuts and process until finely ground.
Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add extracts and pulse to mix.
Fold in the dry ingredients, half at a time, just until mixed.
Transfer batter to the baking pan, top with cherries and then sprinkle reserved nuts and sugar over the top.
Bake at 375 F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.