- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound fresh cherries, washed and pitted
- 1 cup blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray, dust with flour.
- Reserve 1/4 cup chopped almonds with 1 teaspoon sugar and transfer remaining almonds to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the nuts and process until finely ground.
- Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add extracts and pulse to mix.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, half at a time, just until mixed.
- Transfer batter to the baking pan, top with cherries and then sprinkle reserved nuts and sugar over the top.
- Bake at 375 F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
NotesFresh cherries are irresistible but it can be hard to find recipes other than pie. This coffee cake is delicious for breakfast or dessert. It can be dressed up with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a drizzle of almond glaze.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
MetroCooking DC 2013
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More