- Cooking Time:
- Servings: about 40 cookies
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 c. sugar, divided
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/4 c. finely shredded, peeled fresh gingerroot with its juices
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 1 3/4 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 2 T. ground nutmeg (about 2-3 whole nutmegs)
- 1/2 c. crystallized ginger slices (optional)
- In a large bowl mix on medium speed, 1/2 c. sugar, butter, gingerroot and it’s juices and molasses until well mixed. Add the flour and baking soda and mix well. Wrap in plastic wrap and chilled 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 c. sugar, ground ginger and nutmeg. Set aside. Cut crystallized ginger in 1/2-inch long slivers; set aside (optional).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets. Roll dough into teaspoon sized balls and dipped half into sugar/ginger/nutmeg mixture. Place on baking sheet with sugar-side up. Flatten with a flat-bottomed glass. Insert a few ginger slivers in center of each cookie. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on sheets for a few minutes. Store in an airtight container.
NotesFound this recipe online, don't remember where.
Takes awhile to grate the ginger, but it is worth it. These cookies have a very robust ginger flavor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More