- Cooking Time:
- Servings: about 40 cookies
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 c. sugar, divided
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/4 c. finely shredded, peeled fresh gingerroot with its juices
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 1 3/4 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 2 T. ground nutmeg (about 2-3 whole nutmegs)
- 1/2 c. crystallized ginger slices (optional)
- In a large bowl mix on medium speed, 1/2 c. sugar, butter, gingerroot and it’s juices and molasses until well mixed. Add the flour and baking soda and mix well. Wrap in plastic wrap and chilled 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 c. sugar, ground ginger and nutmeg. Set aside. Cut crystallized ginger in 1/2-inch long slivers; set aside (optional).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets. Roll dough into teaspoon sized balls and dipped half into sugar/ginger/nutmeg mixture. Place on baking sheet with sugar-side up. Flatten with a flat-bottomed glass. Insert a few ginger slivers in center of each cookie. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on sheets for a few minutes. Store in an airtight container.
NotesFound this recipe online, don't remember where.
Takes awhile to grate the ginger, but it is worth it. These cookies have a very robust ginger flavor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
The Naked MacaronSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More