FRESH LEMON POUND CAKE
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 scant cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Powdered sugar, for serving
Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 300 F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
In a large bowl, cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Stir in lemon zest, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely.
Just before serving, dust the cake with confectioners' sugar. Makes 10 to 12 servings.