FRESH LEMON POUND CAKE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 scant cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 300 F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon zest, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely.
- Just before serving, dust the cake with confectioners' sugar. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
NotesThis is a variation on a pound cake I've made for showers, and garnished with flowers and lemons. I saw a pretty tulip Bundt pan recently that would be perfect for this Spring-y cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Foodie BabySee More
Chicken LinguineSee More