- Cooking Time: 5-7
- Servings: 36 mini donuts
- Preparation Time: 5
BackstoryThe light texture, the sweet chunks of fresh strawberry, the tartness of lime in the glaze, and the fact that they are low-fat and contain complex carbs all add up to one amazing treat!
- For the Donuts
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 1 C unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 C granulated sugar substitute or sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 C non-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C honey
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 C strawberries, mashed with fork
- For the Glaze
- 2 large strawberries
- about 1 C confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar substitute, and baking powder. In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, eggs, honey, butter, and vanilla. 3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well-combined. Stir in mashed strawberries.
- 3. Spoon batter into a pastry bag or a ziplock bag with the corner snipped. Pipe batter into pan. Fill about 2/3 full (though it's hard to tell using a mini donut pan!).
- 4. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until donuts start to turn light golden brown.
- 5. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 6. While the donuts are cooling, prepare the glaze.
- 7. In a small bowl, beat the strawberries with a hand mixer until well mashed. Add the confectioner's sugar and lime juice. Beat until smooth.
- 8. Dip cooled donuts in glaze and allow to harden. Or snitch some and allow the rest to harden. :)
- 9. Store left-over glazed donuts in the refrigerator, if there are any left!