- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (I use chicken legs)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, more if necessary
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Place chicken into bowl. Pour buttermilk over chicken and marinate for 30-60 minutes. In separate bowl, mix together 1/2 cup flour with parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Remove chicken from buttermilk and coat in flour mix. Pour 3/4 cup of buttermilk into shallow casserole dish. Set aside extra flour and buttermilk.
- Melt shortening and butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; brown chicken pieces for 6-8 minutes, or until the chicken reaches the fried point you prefer. Place chicken in casserole dish on top of buttermilk.
- Strain fat from skillet into measuring cup to equal 1/3 cup. If there is not enough fat add melted butter until you get 1/3 cup; set aside for later use. Pour broth into skillet and scrape up brownings left from chicken. Pour broth over chicken. Bake uncovered at 375°F for about 1 hour or until crisp and tender.
- While chicken is cooking mix remaining flour with sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in 1/3 cup fat and remaining buttermilk to make a soft dough. Knead very lightly and roll out on lightly floured surface Cut dough into 2” rounds.
- Place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in same oven with chicken for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
NotesAccording to many country songs, fried chicken is what the south is all about. Almost every southern family has their own variation of fried chicken, all just as tasty as the next. However, my personal favorite incorporates one of my favorite ingredients to cook with, buttermilk.
Don't be put off but the amount of ingredients called for or the work that seems involved in this recipe. It is well worth it to stick it out and taste the delicious end product.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More