- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 2 lbs crisco or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Rinse off the chicken and dry it.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Put the flour in a large plastic bag and add 1.5 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Shake thoroughly to combine.
- Put the chicken thighs into the bag and shake to coat them. Remove from the flour and shake off excess.
- Put the Crisco or vegetable oil in an electric skillet heat to 325F.
- Add the chicken pieces slowly. (My skillet has room for 8 thighs).
- Set timer for 12 minutes. When 12 minutes is up, check a piece to see if it has the color you want. If it is still too pale (mine usually is), reset the timer for 2 more minutes.
- When 2 minutes is up, turn the chicken pieces and reset the timer for 14 minutes.
- Drain on a rack and then serve.
NotesThis is the method I use to make fried chicken. I use a deep electric skillet because it maintains a steady temperature. I simply can't keep from burning the crust if I don't. I don't do breasts because I still can't get the timing right. Mine always turn out dry or raw. The thighs cook up juicy and it is almost impossible to dry them out.
One important point for me is to season BOTH the chicken and the flour generously with salt and pepper.
You can, of course, add any herb you like--sage, thyme, rosemary.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
MidLife Road Trip'sSee More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More