- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
BackstoryThe crunchy, golden coating on these clams will melt in your mouth. One bite and you'll know why these are considered a delicacy where we live!
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 fresh cherrystone clams, shucked
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tartar sauce or seafood cocktail sauce, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine 3/4 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour with the water, forming a batter. In another bowl, combine the remaining cornmeal and flour.
- Dip clams in batter; shake off excess. Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry clams, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- Serve immediately with sauce if desired.