- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI ended up with some green tomatoes out of my grandfather in laws garden this summer and had NO idea what to do with them. So I found this recipe on all-recipes.com - changed it to fit my tastes and it turned out awesome!
- 1/2 Cup Bacon Grease - Bacon greese is a must for this dish!!
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder or Garlic Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Green Tomato, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- NOTE: Sometimes I like these spicy so I add some seasonings.
- Heat the bacon grease in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In one small bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal and pepper.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk using a fork.
- Dip the tomato slices into the egg and milk, then coat with the dry mixture.
- Place the breaded tomato slices in the hot bacon grease.
- Cook until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Bacon grease burns easily, so adjust your heat if you need to.