- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large green tomatoes -- sliced 1/4" thick
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash paprika
- Preheat deep fryer to 350 degrees. In small bowl, set aside 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
- In medium bowl, mix milk and eggs to create an egg wash.
- In large bowl, combine remaining flour, cornmeal and salt. Add celery salt, cayenne, pepper, onion powder, and paprika.
- This is the cornmeal breading mixture for the tomatoes.
- Line a sheet pan with waxed paper to place the breaded tomatoes on after final dredging.
- Begin the dipping process by dredging the tomatoes in the all-purpose flour, then the egg wash, and finally through the cornmeal breading mixture.
- Repeat this process until all the tomatoes are breaded.
- Once the oil has reached 350 degrees F, begin frying until golden brown.
- Tomatoes will float to the top when finished cooking.
- Drain on paper towels.
NotesI have been eating Fried Green Tomatoes all of my life. My mother made them when I was a kid and I can never really get enough of them. This is close to her recipe and has always been good for me. When I was about 5 year old, I lived only a few miles away from the little town where the movie was made...but they did not make fried green tomatoes there then. Even though it was filmed in Georgia, the Whistle Stop Cafe was really in Alabama.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More