- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt, Black Pepper and Garlic to taste (Paula's House Seasoning. You can find her house seasoning recipe on foodnetwork.com)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds fresh okra, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet to 350 degrees F. (You may not need to use this much oil; do not fill the pan more than halfway up the sides with oil.)
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, House Seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk and then dredge in cornmeal-flour mixture to coat well. Carefully add okra to the hot oil, in batches as needed, and cook until golden brown. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, and then serve
- My notes: I found that using frozen, all ready sliced okra not only is a time saver but its not as messy and comes out wonderfully!
NotesOne of my favorite southern foods. This is Paula Deens recipe version. I use a lot of salt for this. I'm usually very conservative when it comes to salt, but the okra really needs that flavor.
My notes: I found that using frozen, all ready sliced okra not only is a time saver but its not as messy and comes out wonderfully!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More