- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- about 30 freshly shucked oysters
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted bacon fat or butter
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- Lemon wedges, as accompaniment
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, eggs, milk, bacon fat, baking powder, garlic powder and salt. Stir until the batter is smooth.
- In a large saucepan or deep-fryer, heat the oil to 375F.
- Dredge each oyster
- in the cornmeal batter and fry in batches until golden brown, about 1-2 minute.
- Remove the oysters with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges or favorite dipping sauce
NotesHave I mentioned that I love seafood? Oysters is one of my favorite seafoods. My mother-in-law made these fried oysters for me once knowing how much I love them and they were so delicious that I asked for the recipe. I found out later that the reason it tastes so good is because they were fried partially in bacon grease! For those of you that are health concious, you can skip the bacon grease, but let me tell you...once you taste them fried in bacon fat, you can never go back!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Recipes for Vitality
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More