- about 30 freshly shucked oysters
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted bacon fat or butter
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- Lemon wedges, as accompaniment
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, eggs, milk, bacon fat, baking powder, garlic powder and salt. Stir until the batter is smooth.
In a large saucepan or deep-fryer, heat the oil to 375F.
Dredge each oyster
in the cornmeal batter and fry in batches until golden brown, about 1-2 minute.
Remove the oysters with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges or favorite dipping sauce