- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (16 oz.) jar sliced dill pickles
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. hot red pepper sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. Essence (Creole seasoning mix)
- 4 c. vegetable oil for frying
- Drain the pickles in a colander, and then spread on paper towels to drain completely.
- Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and 2 Tbsp. of Creole seasoning (Essence).
- Heat the oil in a medium pot to 350º F.
- Submerge the pickles in batches in the buttermilk, then dip into the flour mixture, tossing to evenly coat.
- Shake in a strainer to remove any excess batter. Add to the oil in batches, turning, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, and season with additional Essence and salt, to taste.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve hot.