- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Oil or bacon grease for frying
- 5 - 6 Yellow Hook Neck Squash sliced
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Heat enough oil to fill a large thick bottomed skillet about 1/2 inch (cast iron works best if you have one). During to course of cooking you may need to add more oil.
- In a large zip lock bag, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and garlic. Dip squash in buttermilk then toss in plastic bag. (you should do this in batches.)
- Carefully add squash to hot oil, in batches as needed) along with some onions (dividing onions so some is cooked with each batch of squash). Cook until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels, then serve.
NotesWhat is it about cornmeal anf fried vegies that tastes so darned good?! My aunt makes this for family get togethers. I just love it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through CollegeSee More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More