- Cooking Time: 6 or 7 minutes
- Preparation Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned calamari, bodies cut into 1/2-inch rings and tentacles left whole
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Place calamari in a medium nonreactive bowl, cover with buttermilk, and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 200°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
- Pour 2 inches of the canola oil into a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Heat over high heat until the oil reaches 400°F on a deep-frying/candy thermometer. Remove a handful of the calamari from the buttermilk, place it in the flour mixture, and toss to evenly coat. Transfer calamari to a fine mesh strainer and gently shake any excess flour back into the bowl. Carefully place the calamari in the oil and fry until light golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet using a slotted spoon, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Return the oil to 400°F and repeat the process with the remaining calamari (about 5 to 6 batches total). Serve with lemon wedges.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More