- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red decorating gel
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into fourths.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll into 1-in. balls.
- Shape balls into 3-in. x 1/2-in. fingers.
- Using the flat tip of a table knife, make an indentation on one end of each for fingernail. With a knife, make three slashes in the middle of each finger for knuckle.
- Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 3 minutes.
- Squeeze a small amount of red gel on nail bed; press a sliced almond over gel for nail, allowing gel to ooze around nail.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Yield: about 5 dozen cookies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More