- Cooking Time: 30 minutes total
- Servings: about 40 brownies
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 C flour
- 2 C sugar
- 5 t unsweetened cocoa
- 1 C water
- ½ C margarine
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ C buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ C unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- ½ C margarine
- 4 ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- PREHEAT oven to 375 ° F.
- Grease 15 X 10 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar and 5 T cocoa in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a saucepan, combine water and margarine and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended; beat at high speed until smooth.
- Add baking soda, buttermilk and eggs; blend well.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes.
- Prepare frosting while the brownies bake.
- In large saucepan, combine cocoa, buttermilk and margarine.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add sugar and vanilla; mix well.
- Spread over warm brownies.
- Cool and cut into bars.
NotesI found this recipe many years ago in one of the cookbooks you pick up at the grocery store registers while you wait your turn in line. Luckily I copied it for many friends, so even though I cannot put my hands on the original book any more, I still have the recipe. These are delicious cake-like brownies with wonderful fudgy frosting. They are a standard to bake and take on camping trips, and pot lucks when I need to bring a dessert. The original recipe called for coconut in the frosting, but I never added it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
DIY Tasty Gift Ideas
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More