- Cooking Time: 8 hours
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 45
- For the crust:
- 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (12 crackers)
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 6 TBSP (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- For the filling:
- 8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 TBSP lime zest (from two limes)
- 3/4 c. lime juice
- 1/4 c. Maraschino cherry syrup (from jar)
- 1/4 c. chopped Maraschino cherries
- green food coloring, if desired
- For the decorations:
- whipped cream
- lime slices
- Maraschino cherries
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Press into a Springform pan, making sure the sides and the bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- 3. For the filling, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for five minutes, until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk.
- 4. Stop the mixer and pour one-third of the filling mixture into a small bowl. Add cherry syrup and chopped cherries. Pour into container and place in refrigerator.
- 5. Add the lime zest, juice, and food coloring (if desired) to the filling still in the mixer bowl. Pour half of lime mixture into the pie shell, cover, and freeze. Pour remaining lime mixture into a container and place in the refrigerator.
- 6. After 1 1/2 to two hours in the freezer, the first lime layer should be frozen enough. Remove cherry mixture from the refrigerator and stir. Gently pour over the lime mixture. Recover the pie and put back into the freezer. If you are serving the pie for dinner the following day, you could leave the two layers in the freezer overnight and add the final lime layer first thing in the morning.
- 7. After another 1 1/2 to two hours or overnight, repeat step six with the remaining lime filling. Recover the pie and allow to freeze until dinner time or overnight.
- 8. About an hour before serving, add the decorations. To serve, run a knife along the inside of the pan to release frozen filling. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
NotesWhen I think back to my childhood summers, my mind goes right to days at the lake and cherry limeades from Sonic. I created this pie to bring back those memories.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More