- Cooking Time: variable with pie
- Servings: up to 15" pie pan
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- You need to recycle some things:
- 1 plastic vegetable bag from the produce section of the grocery store, cut open at the end.
- 1 cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix with a fork or pastry cutter until it resembles small pebbles.
- Add 2 tablespoons water with a fork until the dough sticks together solidly; avoid using your hands as this adds gluten which has a tendency to make it less flaky.
- Now comes the interesting part. Put the dough inside the bag and form a slightly flattened round cake. Roll it into a size to fit your pie pan, flipping the bag now and then to prevent too much wrinkling of the plastic. You can use it immediately or wrap it around the cardboard and put it in your freezer. When ready to use, carefully cut open one side of the bag with a sharp pair of scissors. Peel off just one side of the plastic bag, leaving it flat on your counter. Then lay the pie pan on top of the open side and with one hand holding the plastic and the other holding the pan, flip it over, adjusting the crust to fit the pan. Then you can mold it to the pan, still attached to the plastic. Finally, carefully peel off the plastic and finish the edges to your liking.
NotesI love the idea of taking a rolled-up pie crust out of the freezer to thaw and then lay out in a pan for a quick pie; it takes so much less room in my freezer than a pie pan with the crust inside. I make a lot of pies and can save quite a bit by not buying them from Pillsbury. So I finally figured out how to do this. The crust recipe is probably irrelevant though I use a conventional one. This recipe has the advantage of avoiding the use of pastry cloths and rolling pin covers, and is quite clean, dirtying no dishes or counters.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More