- Cooking Time: 3
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tangerines, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large bananas, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Sixteen 1-inch cubes fresh pineapple (about ¼ pineapple)
- 16 fresh strawberries, hulled
- 16 6-inch wooden skewers
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes; drain.
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- To make the basting sauce: Stir together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Thread the fruit onto the skewers in the order listed. Lightly brush the sauce on all sides of the fruit.
- Broil the skewers 4 to 5 inches from the heating element for about 3 minutes, or until the fruit is just heated through but not cooked. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NotesServe this as an appetizer for guests or as a simple and healthful snack for your family.Vary the fruit, if you like, but definitely use avocado, a fruit usually thought of as a vegetable. Its creamy texture and mild, nutty flavor are a luscious surprise. If time permits, cut the pineapple into triangles, the avocado into cubes, and the banana into rounded chunks, leaving the tangerine sections and strawberries whole.