- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 C. shortening
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 C. flour
- 1 21 oz can pie filling (I've always used cherry pie filling, but blueberry and apricot pie filling are also recommended.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" by 1" pan or two 9" x 9" pans. Beat sugar, margarine, shortening, baking powder, vanilla, almond extract and eggs in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, until blended. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in flour. Spread 2/3 of the batter in jelly roll pan or 1/3 in each square pan. Spread pie filling over batter. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfulls onto pie filling.
- Bake until light brown, about 45 minutes. Drizzle with Glaze while warm. Cut into squares to serve.
- Beat 1 C. powdered sugar and 1 to 2 T. milk until smooth and of desired consistency. I add 1/2 t. almond extract to my glaze for extra flavor. This is a very tasty addition to a brunch buffet.
NotesThis recipe was found in an old Gold Medal cookbook. Don't omit the almond extract as it is essential to the great flavor of this coffee cake. Be advised this is more fruity than cake-like and it tastes delightful. This recipe will serve several.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More