- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12-20 depending on size
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- Sugar cookie dough (store-bought or home-made and refrigerated)
- Pastry Cream:
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Assorted fruit topping:
- For the tartlet shells I use a sugar cookie dough (store bought is easiest!) I make sure it is cold and I roll it into a 2 1/2 inch roll, then slice it fairly thin, just like I might for cookies. I then lay it in the bottom of a cupcake tin, already lined with paper, and press down in the middle so there is a thumbprint in the bottom. Bake at about 350 for 10 minutes. (They puff up, but when they cool they sink.) I fill it with cooled pastry cream (see below) and then top with whatever fruit I want. I like strawberries, kiwi, and blueberries, mango, raspberries, and mandarin oranges.
- Pastry Cream: In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl, mix the sugar and egg yolks together. Sift the flour and cornstarch together and then add to the egg mixture, mixing until it is smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan stir the milk on medium heat until boiling. (The milk will foam super fast, so be careful!) Remove from heat and add slowly to egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. (You might still need to pour it through a strainer, though)
- Put it back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. When it boils, whisk mixture constantly for another 30 - 60 seconds until it becomes very thick and it is hard to stir.
- Remove from heat and immediately add the vanilla. Pour into a clean bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
The Italian Exchange
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More