- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 12-15
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 pound (16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups brown sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- *It's hard to get brown sugar here in India, so I use one tablespoon of honey and one cup of white sugar for every cup of brown sugar required, and it comes out perfectly!
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish, or line with parchment paper or foil.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- 3. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- 4. Sift the flour into a small mixing bowl.
- 5. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Using a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until the mixture thickens and becomes pale in color, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 6. Using a rubber spatula, fold the cooled chocolate into the egg mixture.
- 7. Add the flour and fold it in quickly but gently with the rubber spatula so that you don’t deflate the air that’s been incorporated into the eggs.
- 8. Pour the batter into the prepared dish.
- 9. Bake until the top looks slightly cracked and feels soft to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
NotesI baked these for my birthday last week. Many people asked me why I wasn't baking my own birthday cake for my party. It's hard to bake a cake for 40 people in a microwave-oven, like the one I had. But obviously, that didn't stop me from baking for myself on my birthday! If I couldn't bake a huge birthday cake, I'd just have to bake brownies for myself and the family :) I haven't baked brownies in a LONG time, so this was perfect! These brownies are very dense and fudgey, with a thin crackly crust on top - Just the way I love them! I hope you enjoy these brownies as much as I did!