- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 12-15
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 pound (16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups brown sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- *It's hard to get brown sugar here in India, so I use one tablespoon of honey and one cup of white sugar for every cup of brown sugar required, and it comes out perfectly!
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish, or line with parchment paper or foil.
2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Set aside to cool.
4. Sift the flour into a small mixing bowl.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Using a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on high speed until the mixture thickens and becomes pale in color, about 4 to 5 minutes.
6. Using a rubber spatula, fold the cooled chocolate into the egg mixture.
7. Add the flour and fold it in quickly but gently with the rubber spatula so that you don’t deflate the air that’s been incorporated into the eggs.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared dish.
9. Bake until the top looks slightly cracked and feels soft to the touch, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Website Credit: http://www.divine-baking.com/2011/05/tartine-brownies-updated.html