- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 48 cookies
- Preparation Time: 30
- * 1 1/2 cups flour
- * 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- * 1/4 teaspoon salt
- * 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- * 1/2 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- * 1 cup sugar
- * 1 egg
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- * 1 teaspoons almond extract
- * 48 maraschino cherries
- * 6 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces
- * 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts. Beat well.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. (It takes a lot of restraint for me to make them this small, but you really can get 48 cookies out the recipe.)
- With a little oil, butter or cooking spray on your finger, press down in the center of all the dough balls.
- Prepare the frosting. In a small saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk and chocolate pieces until melted and combined. Stir in 4 teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice.
- Spoon some frosting into the thumbprint of each cookie. Top with a cherry.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
NotesMy mom has had this recipe for more than 20 years. We've adapted it only slightly. Read more backstory and see more photos at my blog, http://hecooksshecooks.net/2009/12/chocolate-cherry-cookies. Thanks!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Cole Family Cookbook 2015
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More