- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 48 cookies
- Preparation Time: 30
- * 1 1/2 cups flour
- * 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- * 1/4 teaspoon salt
- * 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- * 1/2 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- * 1 cup sugar
- * 1 egg
- * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- * 1 teaspoons almond extract
- * 48 maraschino cherries
- * 6 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces
- * 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts. Beat well.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. (It takes a lot of restraint for me to make them this small, but you really can get 48 cookies out the recipe.)
- With a little oil, butter or cooking spray on your finger, press down in the center of all the dough balls.
- Prepare the frosting. In a small saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk and chocolate pieces until melted and combined. Stir in 4 teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice.
- Spoon some frosting into the thumbprint of each cookie. Top with a cherry.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
NotesMy mom has had this recipe for more than 20 years. We've adapted it only slightly. Read more backstory and see more photos at my blog, http://hecooksshecooks.net/2009/12/chocolate-cherry-cookies. Thanks!
The Help Cookbook: Food and Friendship
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Curried Wheat Bread
Chicken Fried Steak (TNT)
BRIE AND PROSCIUTTO FILLED CHILE RELLENOS ON A BED OF FIGS AND ARUGULASee More