- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA scrumptious cake for Oktoberfest or the holidays.
I've given them as Christmas gifts, but know that you assemble them on the day they will be eaten.
- 2 ½ Cups Cake Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 4 Egg Whites
- You will also need White Rum, powdered or crushed almonds and your recipe ingredients for chocolate butter icing (Read substitutes to recipe)
- Mix all ingredients – EXCEPT EGGS – 2 minutes at low speed plus 2 minutes on high speed.
- Add Eggs – 2 minutes on high speed
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 -35 minutes
- Put clean bowl and beaters in freezer
- Split cooled cake onto 2 layers
- Sprinkle with white rum and cover with a cloth
- Let stand 6-8 hours (Cover tight if overnight)
- Make a standard chocolate frosting using dark or bittersweet chocolate and substitute white rum for ½ of the liquid
- Using bowl and beaters from freezer, whip 1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream to peak
- Fold in (very slowly) ¼ - 3/8 Cup White Rum
- Whipped cream goes between each layer
- Frost top and sides with chocolate frosting
- Decorate sides with powdered almonds
- Keep refrigerated