- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 ½ Cups Cake Flour
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 4 Egg Whites - whisk to light foam
- You will also need White Rum, powdered or crushed almonds and your recipe ingredients for chocolate butter icing (Read substitutes to recipe)
- Mix all ingredients – EXCEPT EGGS – 2 minutes at low speed plus 2 minutes on high speed.
- Add Eggs – 2 minutes on high speed
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 -35 minutes
- Put clean bowl and beaters in freezer
- Split cooled cake onto 2 layers
- Sprinkle with white rum and cover with a cloth
- Let stand 6-8 hours (Cover tight if overnight)
- Make a standard chocolate frosting using dark or bittersweet chocolate and substitute white rum for ½ of the liquid
- Using bowl and beaters from freezer, whip 1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream to peak
- Fold in (very slowly) ¼ - 3/8 Cup White Rum
- Whipped cream goes between each layer
- Frost top and sides with chocolate frosting
- Decorate sides with powdered almonds
- Keep refrigerated
NotesA scrumptious cake for Oktoberfest or the holidays.
I've given them as Christmas gifts, but know that you assemble them on the day they will be eaten.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More