- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk (I substitute sour milk instead. Put 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a measuring cup. Add milk until you reach the ¾ cup mark. Let sit for 5 minutes and then stir.)
- Additional 1 tablespoon olive oil (to oil pan after heating)
- Start by placing a 10-inch cast iron pan in a 450 F oven.
- While the pan is heating, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat the wet ingredients (including first 1 tablespoon olive oil) in another bowl.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Remove pan from oven, add the second 1 table-spoon olive oil and swish around to coat bottom and sides of pan.
- Pour batter in hot pan and bake for 17 minutes at 450 F.
- Check after first 10 minutes (but do not open oven), and if browning too fast lower heat to 375 F, depending on your oven.
- After it’s baked, let cool a few minutes and remove from hot pan.
- Bread will look like a thick pita.
- Cut into wedges to eat and serve warm from the oven with stew, soup etc.
NotesReprinted from Celi-Yak News Spring 2013
This quick-bread is moist inside with a light tex-ture. I clipped this recipe out of the Wpg Free Press Food section Oct. 28th, 2009 and have made it many times.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More